
Barack Obama Reacts to Donald Trump Posting a Video of Him and Michelle as Apes
It started with a meme video; it spiraled into a political firestorm, and now, Barack Obama has broken his silence, but not before tensions reached a boiling point.
Controversy erupted after U.S. President Donald Trump shared a video online that depicted former U.S. President Barack Obama and his wife as apes in what was described as a parody styled after "The Lion King." The clip quickly sparked backlash across social media, with critics calling it deeply offensive.

Former U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama and former U.S. President Barack Obama at the inaugural Obama Foundation Summit in Chicago, Illinois on October 31, 2017. | Source: Getty Images
Trump Responds Aboard Air Force One... And Refuses to Back Down
But here's where it gets even more eyebrow-raising…
When asked about the post during a February 6, 2026, press briefing aboard Air Force One en route to Palm Beach, Florida, Trump made it clear he wasn't backing down. In footage from the exchange, he said, "They posted, and we took it down, and yeah. But that was a voter fraud that nobody talks about; they don't like to talk about that."

U.S. President Donald Trump addressing the meme video depicting Barack and Michelle Obama as apes during a press briefing, posted on February 7, 2026. | Source: YouTube/The White House
When pressed on whether he would apologize, his response was blunt:
"No. I didn't make a mistake."
Trump added, "I look at a lot of thousands of things. I looked at the beginning of it; it was fine. They had that one post, and I guess it was a takeoff. By the way, a lot of people covered it [sic]."

Donald Trump addressing reporters aboard Air Force One. | Source: YouTube/The White House
Continuing, the president remarked, "If you look at where it came from, I guess it was a takeoff on 'The Lion King,' and certainly it was a very strong post in terms of voter fraud."
He added, "Nobody knew that that was at the end. If they would have [sic] looked, they would have seen it, and probably they would have had the sense to take it down. But that was a takeoff on 'The Lion King.' And a lot of people were covered in different positions."
The White House Weighs In
Despite pressure from some Republicans urging he apologize, Trump stood firm. The White House later attempted to calm the storm.
In a statement shared with People, Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt defended the post, stating, "This is from an internet meme video depicting President Trump as the King of the Jungle and Democrats as characters from 'The Lion King.' Please stop the fake outrage…"
The administration then claimed that "a White House staffer erroneously made the post" before it was taken down. Notably, the staffer has not been publicly identified.

Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt addressing the media during a press briefing in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, D.C., on February 10, 2026. | Source: Getty Images
Additionally, when asked on February 12 whether the individual responsible had been fired or reprimanded, Trump responded simply, "No, I haven't."
Obama Finally Speaks
For days, many may have wondered: Would Obama respond? The former president largely stayed quiet as headlines swirled and commentators debated whether the post crossed a line. Then, on February 14, during an interview with Brian Tyler Cohen, Obama finally addressed the situation.
When Cohen referenced Trump posting the video with Obama's face on an ape's body, Obama let out a slight, almost incredulous chuckle. That small reaction spoke volumes… but his words carried even more weight.

Barack Obama chuckling at the mention of the video Donald Trump shared, posted on February 14, 2026. | Source: YouTube/Bryan Tyler Cohen
"Well, first of all, I think it's important to recognize that the majority of the American people find this behavior deeply troubling," Obama said. He then acknowledged that such posts grab attention and serve as distractions, but he shifted the focus to something bigger…
"As I'm traveling around the country [...] you meet people, they still believe in decency, courtesy, kindness, and there is this sort of clown show that's happening in social media and on television," he continued.

Barack Obama onstage at the "Get out the vote" rally in Newark, New Jersey on November 1, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
Obama didn't mention Trump by name in that moment, but the implication was unmistakable. He went on to reflect on what he sees as a broader erosion of decorum.
"There doesn't seem to be any shame about this among people who used to feel like you had to have some sort of decorum and a sense of propriety and respect for the office, right? So that's been lost," reflected the former president.

Barack Obama and Donald Trump at the State Funeral Service for former U.S. President Jimmy Carter in Washington, D.C., on January 9, 2025. | Source: Getty Images
And then, perhaps most strikingly, he made it clear, "The reason I point out that I don't think the majority of the American people approve of this is because ultimately [sic] the answer is gonna come from the American people."
While Obama's tone was calm and measured, the message was pointed. He didn't lash out, and he didn't demand an apology. Instead, he framed the controversy as part of a larger conversation about political discourse in America.
Still, the juxtaposition couldn't be clearer: On one side, there is a president insisting he "didn't make a mistake" and refusing to discipline anyone involved, and on the other, a former president is urging a return to "decency, courtesy, [and] kindness."
Whether this episode will have lasting political consequences remains to be seen. But one thing is certain: the debate over what crosses the line in today's political climate is far from over.
