
Donald Glover Speaks Out About Health Scare at 42
The 42-year-old artist has revealed why he canceled his tour last year, sharing new details about the unexpected health issues that forced him off the road.
Donald Glover, the multi-talented artist known as Childish Gambino, has finally revealed the shocking truth behind the abrupt cancellation of his 2024 tour. This medical crisis left fans stunned and concerned.

A netizen's comment on Donald Glover's health scare, posted on November 23, 2025 | Source: Facebook/TMZ
On stage at Tyler, the Creator's Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival on Saturday night, November 22, 2025, at Dodger Stadium, Glover offered his in-depth explanation, taking listeners back to Louisiana, where he first experienced intense head pain and vision trouble.
Despite the symptoms, he continued with his performance, unaware of the severity of what was unfolding. After traveling to Houston, the situation took a dramatic turn.

Donald Glover performs onstage during Day 1 of Tyler, The Creator's Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, California, on November 22, 2025 | Source: Getty Images
Seeking medical care, Glover was diagnosed with a stroke. However, doctors later discovered a far more serious condition. He said:
"They found a hole in my heart… so I had this surgery, and then I had to have another surgery."

Dressed in a mesh tank top, Donald Glover takes the stage at Camp Flog Gnaw Carnival 2025, delivering a high-energy set at Dodger Stadium | Source: Getty Images
He had broken his foot last year, compounding the strain on his body. The growing list of complications ultimately led to the cancellation of his tour.
Glover said the cancellations hit him hard. At first, he felt like he had let everyone down. Then, trying to lighten the moment, he joked that it felt like he was copying Jamie Foxx, a nod to another performer who had gone through a similar health scare.

Donald Glover performs during his set at Camp Flog Gnaw in Los Angeles on November 22, 2025 | Source: Getty Images
The experience, though terrifying, prompted deep reflection. "They say everybody has two lives and the second life starts when you realize you have one… You should be living your life how you want," he added.
Fans expressed support and shock across social media. "I knew I was lucky to see him in Philly last year before he cancelled his tour but I didn't know just how bad it was wow," one wrote. "42 years old, so young! 😔" remarked another.
"If my near-death experience had that much emotional depth, I'd also drop a concept album about it," another added. "Please take care of yourself! We need your talent and genius!" urged one fan.

Donald Glover performs under the lights during Camp Flog Gnaw 2025 | Source: Getty Images
Others responded with concern and empathy. "WHAT??? Omg that is so scary! I love him as an actor and artist. I am sending all my good and healing vibes," a fifth said. "Glad he's recovering, that's scary. Sending prayers his way 🙏," another follower shared.
Another typed, "These super stars aren't super human. Being brought back in touch w ur humanity is powerful. Perhaps more great art will come from it 💙 [sic]." A different commenter noted, "Praying for comfort, clarity, and a strong recovery for him. Health challenges like this are never easy hoping for brighter days ahead. 🤎"

Donald Glover greets fans while performing at Camp Flog Gnaw 2025 in Los Angeles | Source: Getty Images
Glover's revelation follows a series of postponed and canceled tour dates that began in mid-2024. In a now-deleted post on X, he announced the postponement of the remaining North American leg of "The New World Tour," citing the need to focus on his health.
He told fans that all tickets for the North American shows would still be honored once new dates were confirmed. In the same message, he thanked them for their patience, support, and for giving him the privacy he needed to focus on his recovery.
The tour kicked off on August 11, 2024, at the Paycom Center in Oklahoma City, launching what was set to be a high-energy return to the stage.
Glover made stops in Milwaukee, Detroit, Toronto, Philadelphia, Boston, New York, Nashville, Atlanta, and New Orleans before the momentum abruptly stalled. A planned show on September 8 in the same year, in Houston, was postponed due to illness.

Donald Glover performs during The New World Tour at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan, on August 17, 2024 | Source: Getty Images
Despite that, he remained booked to perform across Austin, Dallas, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, Seattle, and Chicago through early October, but those dates quietly vanished from the schedule.
By November, international fans dealt another disappointment: the Australia and New Zealand legs were officially canceled. In a message sent directly to ticket holders, Glover explained, "Unfortunately, my path to recovery is taking longer than expected."

Donald Glover attends the 74th Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, on January 8, 2017 | Source: Getty Images
He expressed gratitude for fans' encouragement, writing, "I really appreciate the support you have shown and know that I will do what I can to give u an exceptional experience when the time is right. Thank you."
The European and Oceanic legs of the tour, originally scheduled for late 2024 into early 2025, remain on hold with no official updates since the cancellations.

Donald Glover performs during The New World Tour in Detroit, Michigan, on August 17, 2024 | Source: Getty Images
After months of canceled tour dates, Glover opened up about the toll and the transformation in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.
"Things don't always go as planned," he said. "But I'm grateful to be able to share small ideas that become big ones, and look forward to continuing to do that in the near future." Still recovering, but undeterred, Glover made it clear that his ambition to deliver unforgettable live performances hasn't faded.

Donald Glover attends the premiere of Disney's "The Lion King" in Hollywood, California, on July 9, 2019 | Source: Getty Images
Aware of the financial burden on fans, especially in an era of soaring costs and economic strain, he acknowledged the weight of their investment. In fact, he issued a striking guarantee, "If this isn't the best live show you’ve ever seen, after the first song you can literally leave and get your money back."

Donald Glover speaks onstage at the BET Awards in Los Angeles, California, on June 24, 2018 | Source: Getty Images
To prepare, he retreated to Nantucket, where he adopted a strict daily routine as he worked on his new album and film, "Bando Stone and the New World." He said:
"I wake up, I bike six miles to the gym. I do hot yoga, I bike back and work out, I do vocal lessons. Make breakfast for the kids most days, sometimes dinner, and try and help out on the day…. This is just some semblance of family and togetherness before the storm, essentially."

Donald Glover speaks onstage at the BET Awards in Los Angeles, California, on June 30, 2024 | Source: Getty Images
But his thoughts weren't only on music. In the same interview, Glover spoke about death. He recalled a vivid dream where he was in a car crash, suspended between life and death.
"Not everyone dies surrounded by their loved ones," he said. "Most people don't—a lot of people die on the toilet, alone and quickly, or whatever. So you don't get to imbibe and be like, 'Wow, I’m really leaving.'"

Donald Glover attends the screening of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" at the 71st Cannes Film Festival in France, on May 15, 2018 | Source: Getty Images
For Glover, it isn't a morbid fixation. His partner, Michelle White, is a death doula, a professional who supports individuals and families through the final stages of life.
In their household, conversations about mortality are not unusual. "I meditate on death every morning,” Glover said, "and it can be very romantic, if you allow it to be."

Donald Glover and Michelle White attend the Los Angeles premiere of Prime Video’s "Swarm" on March 14, 2023 | Source: Getty Images
Just a few months earlier, in July 2024, Glover spoke to The New York Times and confirmed that "Bando Stone and the New World" would mark the end of the road for Childish Gambino, the moniker that launched him into hip-hop stardom back in 2010.
"It really was just like, 'Oh, it's done,'" he said. "It's not fulfilling. And I just felt like I didn't need to build in this way anymore."
The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on ondoho.com, or available through ondoho.com is for general information purposes only. ondoho.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.
